In the blog, we will discuss how to perform a thorough SAP Assessment for migrating on AWS. We will focus on SAP servers and any dependent infrastructure which will be part of the migration.
The purpose of this assessment is to perform a thorough review of cloud hosting requirements, objectives and goals, to get a detailed analysis of the current SAP landscape. The assessment outcome is a proposed solution that represents a hybrid or all-in AWS cloud blueprint and roadmap for deploying SAP applications into AWS based on the requirements and priorities. The proposed solution will help identify what can be accomplished with AWS services. Likewise, it will also help determine what can’t be realized in a cloud-based solution.
The Discovery phase is a process of collecting and analyzing information about the Server migration in scope. It allows getting an in-depth understanding of the scope and limitations.
As a part of the discovery phase below information is acquired,
- Details of current SAP landscape – Sandbox, development, test, QA, and production
- High-availability disaster recovery point objective (RPO) and recovery time objective (RTO) requirements
- List server under In-scope and Out-of-scope servers
- SAP Servers applications version information
- Identify SAP interface and any interface requirements are currently satisfied via the operating system (OS) scripts
- Uncover any information on non-SAP systems that complement the business processes executed on SAP
Assessment and Migration Approach
- Review EWA Reports, Interfaces, and Peak Load and Bottle Necks
- Re-platform / upgrade Interests (OS and Database)
- Review Business and Technical Priorities
- Migration methodologies and tools
- Brainstorm session to determine optimal blueprint and roadmap for an AWS cloud hosting for SAP
- Review risk mitigation techniques in migrating specific SAP systems to the cloud defined in the roadmap
- Go Live: Staged deployment or Big Bang?
SAP Migration Strategy
A perfect SAP data migration strategy helps with easy migration from an on-premises database system to AWS. SAP Migration approach is determined by evaluating the below points.
- Existing OS is compatible with Target AWS instance?
- Size of the Database on the source?
- Interface connected to SAP system?
- Network bandwidth from on-premises to AWS?
- Target OS, DB, and SAP version same as the source?
- SAP Upgrade required?
- Database platform change needed?
SAP Migration Options
SAP provides multiple migration options which are used for migrating SAP server running on-premises to AWS. Below are options that can be leveraged in migrating the SAP workload to AWS.
Outcome of Assessment
The following is a list of outcomes after the Assessment conclusion,
- Future state architecture of cloud Infrastructure
- Network connectivity requirements
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
- Migration tool / Approach
- Migration timelines
Solution Architect, SAP BASIS